Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility


Town Clerk

Contact Info

Town of Greenfield

7 Wilton Rd., P.O. Box 10
Greenfield Center, NY 12833


  • Monday – Thursday
    8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
  • Friday
    8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
  • Or by appointment

The Town Clerk’s office is considered the hub of our town, providing the public with a wide variety of information and services. In addition to the assisting residents with the many items listed below, the Town Clerk is responsible for maintaining all Town records; and the written preparation of Town Board minutes, legal notices, bids, and local laws.

Please note: The Town Clerk’s office accepts cash and checks, as well as MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express.

The Town Clerk is elected by the public every four years. Our Town Clerk is also appointed Tax Collector.

We are always available. Please don’t hesitate to call or visit us with any questions.

Town Clerk Information Links

Current News and Information

Certificate of Residency

In order to have Saratoga County pay for a portion of his or her community college tuition, a student must obtain a Certificate of Residence and submit it to the college. A Certificate is valid for one year. Please call ahead because the process to receive a Certificate of Residency changes, depending on the time of year.

Our Town Clerk’s office can only provide a certificate of Residency before the start of the classes for the semester. After classes begin, you must go in person to the Saratoga County Treasurer’s Office.

For more information visit the website.


  • Student must be a resident for at least one year.

What to bring:

  • Proof of address document (below) dated at least 12-18 months old, showing the student’s name and address
  • Proof of address document dated less than 30 days old, showing the student’s name and address
  • All documents submitted as proof of address must include the student’s name and physical address and be dated accordingly. See below.

Examples of proof of address:

  • College correspondence including bills or schedule of classes
  • Bank statements
  • Utility bills
  • Medical records including prescriptions
  • Report cards with an issue date of 1-year old, or within 30 days
  • Dated mail or postmarked envelopes
  • Income tax return with preprinted label or W2’s
  • Formal lease
  • Driver’s license, car registration and/or insurance card may be used when the issue date reflected is 1 year old, or within 30 days of application.

Download the Certificate of Residency Application

If you wish, you may print and fill out this application and bring into the Town Clerk’s office to receive your Certificate of Residency. The Town Clerk will notarize this application on-site.

Community Center Usage

The Town of Greenfield’s Community Center is located adjacent to Town Hall at 25 Wilton Rd. The building is home to our Greenfield Food Pantry each Wednesday, but also is available to Greenfield nonprofits who would like to use our large meeting space. To register, click here

What you need:

  • Groups must apply with the Town Clerk here or by printing it out and bringing it in person.
  • The application will be submitted by the Clerk to be approved by the Town Board at the next Town Board meeting.
  • Applicants will be informed by Town Clerk when they are approved.
  • Proof of insurance.

Download the Community Center Use Application

View the Town of Greenfield Facilities Usage Policy

Conservation Licenses

The Town Clerk is an official conservation license issuing agent. We offer the easiest and quickest way to receive your licenses and tags immediately. Annual hunting licenses and privileges are valid from September 1st through August 31st each year. Fishing licenses are valid for 365 days from date of purchase.

What to bring:

  • Driver’s license for proof of residency
  • Training certificate for proof of eligibility, or previous license.*

*All first-time hunters must pass one or more courses before they can get a hunting license in New York. Visit the website to find a free course near you.

The conservation year runs from October 1st to September 30th. License sales for the upcoming year begin in Mid-August.

You may qualify for a free/reduced fee annual fishing license if you are:

  • Active duty military
  • Military veteran with 40% or greater disability
  • Senior citizen (70 years or older)
  • Legally blind
  • Non-resident student attending a New York State college or university full-time

Stop in or call for more information.

Lifetime licenses can also be purchased.

Please note: The Town Clerk’s office accepts cash and checks, as well as MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express.

Dog Licenses

New York State Law requires that all dogs must be licensed in the Town, City or Village where the dog is harbored at the age of 4 months. Every dog owned or harbored in New York State for longer than 30 days must be licensed. Dog Licenses are renewed on a yearly basis. Each dog receives an official identification (ID) number and issued a metal ID tag which should be attached to the dog’s collar.

What you need:

  • A current rabies certificate*
  • For new dog licenses, spay/neuter certificate is required (if applicable).

What you need for renewal:

  • A current rabies certificate*, signed by a licensed veterinarian.
  • To renew by mail, please enclose both parts of the renewal form sent to you, with the rabies certificate and mail to Town Clerk, P.O. Box 10, Greenfield Center, NY 12833.

*Rabies vaccination must be in effect for at least one full month after the issued date of the license.


Un-neutered or un-spayed dogs, $15.00
Neutered and spayed dogs, $8.00.
No charge for guide dogs.

Please note: The Town Clerk’s office accepts cash and checks, as well as MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express.

Click here to renew your dog license online now.

View the Greenfield Dog Ordinance document.

Visit the Dog Control page.

See more information about the Porter Corners Dog Park.

FOIL Requests

Under the provisions of New York Freedom of Information Law, Article 6 of the Public Officers law, residents are permitted to request records from New York State or local government agencies.

What you need:

  • Fully completed FOIL request form. Either filled out in detail on-line below or print out and bring in person to Town Clerk’s office.

When submitting a FOIL request:

  • Be as specific as possible in describing the requested records. Include relevant dates, names, titles, and descriptions that will help us find the requested information. If the form is not specific enough, we may not be able to complete your request.
  • Specify where to send the records and how you want them sent (e.g., mail, email or fax).
  • Include your email, mailing address and a telephone number where you can be reached during business hours, even if the request is made electronically or by fax.
  • Birth, death and marriage records are confidential and are not open for public inspection.


As indicated on the form, fees will be estimated depending on the search requested. We will notify you of the charges for reproducing any responsive records before they are sent to you.

Download the FOIL Request form.

Online FOIL Request Form

Under the provisions of the New York Freedom of Information Law, Article 6 of the Public Officers Law, I hereby request records or portion thereof pertaining to
(attempt to identify the records in which you are interested as-clearly as possible)

Handicapped Parking Permit

Applicants must be a resident of the Town of Greenfield.

What you need:

  • NYS Form MV664 (below) filled out by applicant and applican’s physician.
  • Applicant should also bring their driver’s license or non-driver I.D.

Permits for Permanent Disability are issued for 5 years. Upon expiration, return to the issuing clerk for a replacement tag. A new MV664.1 form is not required.

Permits for Temporary Disability are issued for up to 6 months. This permit can only be extended with a letter from the physician or submission of a new MV664.1 form.

There is no charge for Handicapped Parking Permits.

Download the Application for a Parking Permit.

Marriage Licenses

A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply for a marriage license in person to any Town or City Clerk in the State. No information will be provided over the phone.

Download the Marriage License Application.

What to bring:

  • Each applicant must have proof of identification including a birth certificate and a driver’s license or passport.

Age Requirements:

  • Must be at least 18 years old, or have parental or judicial consent.

If either party has been previously married, you must bring the final divorce decree of all divorces and/or copy of death certificates, if applicable.

The marriage license must be obtained at least 24 hours prior to the ceremony. The license is valid for 60 days.



Please note: The Town Clerk’s office accepts cash and checks, as well as MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express.

Notary Services

The Town Clerk is a Notary Public and offers in-person Notary services to Greenfield residents free of charge.


  • Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.
  • Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.
  • Or by appointment

Resident Cards

Town of Greenfield resident cards are required to participate in our Townwide Cleanup programs. They are also required at Porter Corners dog park. At Brookhaven Golf Course, residents with town resident cards receive $5 off green’s fees (for regular priced 18 holes), $5 off 9 holes with a cart, and reduced price season passes. The card is free of charge and can be obtained in-person at the Town Clerk’s Office.

What to bring:

  • A valid driver’s license.
  • Utility bill for a secondary proof of address.
scan of a town of greenfield resident card addressed to Jane Doe
Sample Resident Card

Vital Records

The Town of Greenfield Clerk’s Office follows the guidelines as set forth by the New York State Health Department for all searches of birth, death or marriage records.

Important information/what to bring:

  • Applicants must complete a written application and the identification requirements listed on the application.
  • Marriage, birth and death records are confidential and are not open for public inspection.
  • The Freedom of Information Law does not apply to Vital Records.
  • Searching of records must be conducted only by the Registrar and Deputy Registrar. In the Town of Greenfield, the Town Clerk and her deputy serve as Registrar and Deputy Registrar.


$10 per certified copy or No Record Certification

Please note: The Town Clerk’s office accepts cash and checks, as well as MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express.

Download Application to Local Registrar for Copy of Birth Record.

Download Application to Local Registrar for Copy of Death Record.

Newsletter Sign Up

Town of Greenfield Logo
Town Hall Address

7 Wilton Road
Greenfield Center, NY 12833

Town Hall Hours

Monday – Thursday: 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM


Please check department pages for hours by department.

Contact Info

Mailing Address

PO Box 10
Greenfield Center, NY 12833

© 2023 Town of Greenfield. All Rights Reserved.