Town Clerk Contact Info

Karen Dowen
Town Clerk

email icon Email
phone icon Phone: (518) 893-7432 Ext. 301


Laura Ruane
Deputy Town Clerk

email icon Email
phone icon Phone: (518) 893-7432 Ext. 300

       Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 am to 3:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am to 3:00pm

Jump to a Topic

Dog License
Marriage License
Conservation License
Handicapped Parking Permit
Certificate of Residency
Vital Records
Notary Services

Welcome to the Town Clerk's Office. As the center of information, the Town Clerk provides the public with a wide variety of information and services. In addition to the items listed below, the Town Clerk is responsible for maintaining all Town records; the preparation of Town Board minutes including legal notices for public hearings, bids, local laws, etc.; Freedom of Information requests; scheduling for use of the Community Center and Middle Grove Town Park Pavilion.

Just a reminder, hunting and fishing licenses are available at  our office. Planning on a wedding? The Town Clerk’s Office issues marriage licenses. Check out our website and like us on Facebook. The Town Clerk’s office now accepts MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express. We are always available!

Dog License - New York State Law requires that all dogs must be licensed in the Town, City or Village where the dog is harbored at the age of 4 months. For new dog licenses, a current rabies certificate and a spay/neuter certificate, if applicable, is required. For a renewal, a rabies certificate, if required, must be presented. (The rabies vaccination must be in effect for at least one full month after the issued date of the license.) Fees for un-neutered or un-spayed dogs are $15.00; for neutered and spayed dogs, $8.00. To renew dog licenses by mail, please enclose both parts of the renewal form sent to you, along with all necessary paperwork to the Town Clerk's Office.

Marriage License - A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply for a marriage license in person to any Town or City Clerk in the State. Each applicant must have proof of identification such as drivers license or passport and birth certificates. If either party has been previously married, you must bring the final divorce decree of all divorces and/or copy of death certificates, if applicable. The marriage license must be obtained at least 24 hours prior to the ceremony. The license is valid for 60 days. The fee for a marriage license is $40.00
Age Requirements: Must be at least 18 years old
17 year olds - Parental or Judicial consent would be necessary

Conservation License - Applicants must bring drivers license for proof of residency, as well as a previous license or training certificate for proof of eligibility. The conservation year runs from October 1st to September 30th. License sales for the upcoming year begin in Mid-August.

Handicapped Parking Permit - Applicants must be a resident of the Town of Greenfield. The applicant and the applicant's physician must complete NYS Form MV664.1. Applicant should also bring their driver's license or non-driver I.D. Permits for Permanent Disability are issued for 5 years. Upon expiration, return to the issuing clerk for a replacement tag. A new MV664.1 form is not required. Permits for Temporary Disability are issued for up to 6 months. This permit can only be extended with a letter from the physician or submission of a new MV664.1 form. There is no charge for Handicapped Parking Permits.

Certificate of Residency -   In order to have Saratoga County pay for a portion of his or her community college tuition, a student must obtain a Certificate of Residence and submit it to the college. A Certificate is valid for one year.

  • Student must be a resident for at least one year.
  • Must bring a document dated at least 12-18 months old, showing the name and address
  • Must bring a document dated less than 30 days old, showing the name and address

Examples of acceptable proof:

  • Driver's License
  • Bank Statement
  • Car registration
  • Paycheck stub
  • Dated mail or postmarked envelopes
  • College acceptance letter
  • Utility/Phone bills
  • High School Report Cards, Interim reports, transcripts

Vital Records - The Town of Greenfield Clerk's Office follows the guidelines as set forth by the New York State Health Department for all searches of birth, death or marriage records. Applicants must complete a written application. NO INFORMATION WILL BE FURNISHED OVER THE TELEPHONE. Birth, Death and Marriage records are confidential and are not open for public inspection. The Freedom of Information Law does not apply to Vital Records. Searching of records must be conducted only by the Registrar and Deputy Registrar. In the Town of Greenfield, the Town Clerk and her deputy serve as Registrar and Deputy Registrar.

Notary Services -  The Town Clerk is a Notary Public. Proof of identity must be provided.

Upcoming Events

Tue Sep 27 @ 7:00PM -
Planning Board Meeting
Wed Sep 28 @ 1:30PM - 03:30PM
Food Pantry
Tue Oct 04 @ 7:00PM -
Zoning Board Meeting
Wed Oct 05 @ 1:30PM - 03:30PM
Food Pantry
Thu Oct 06 @ 7:00PM -
Town Board Agenda
Mon Oct 10
Town Hall Closed- Columbus Day
Tue Oct 11 @ 7:00PM -
Planning Board Meeting
Wed Oct 12 @ 1:30PM - 03:30PM
Food Pantry

Contact Us


Town Hall Address
house 7 Wilton Road
       Greenfield Center, NY 12833

Mailing Address
house PO Box 10
       Greenfield Center, NY 12833

Town Hall Hours

Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 3 PM
Saturday: 9 AM - Noon (Labor Day - Memorial Day)
phone icon Phone: (518) 893-7432
fax Fax: (518) 893-2460
Staff Login